Thursday 17th September 2015:
After the filming I work on the different stages of:
- PRE PRODUCTION: before the film has start, there is lot of thing to prepare for the shooting.
PRE PRODUCTION: before the film has start, there is lot of thing to prepare for the shooting.
- The producer’s responsible to find the right locations.
- Storyboard artist have to create the storyboard for the film include to make it similar with the book.
PRODUCTION: the start of the shooting.
POST-PRODUCTION:aftermath of the film. There are lots of things to sort out with the film before it is released to the public. There would be editing the video, adding the music/sound, adding colour etc.
I prefer to work on post production the most because I enjoy editing the video to make the film look more realistic before releasing it to the public. I also like the editing because I can add the subtitle and other people can add sound/music too. It will help me to confident to communicate with deaf and hearing people in the film/ TV company.
- PRE PRODUCTION JOB (storyboard artist)- Martin Asbury. He was drawing James Bond series (Skyfall e.g.), Harry Potter series etc.
- PRODUCTION JOB (camera operator): Alec Mills (six James Bond film-), Star War (The Return of the Jedi)
- POST PRODUCTION JOB (sound editor): Karen Baker Landers (Gladiator (2000), Braveheart (1995) and Skyfall-2012). She is often work with Per Hallberg.
a) Martin Ashbury is the storyboard artist for:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Deathly Hallows part 1&2
James Bond (Casino Royale, the Quantum of Solace and Skyfall)
Chicken Run (animation) etc.
b) He was working in pre production to draw the storyboard by what his director (Sam Mendes from Skyfall) expect for the film (production).
c) Because he also use storyboard for Chicken Run in animation, his skills are:
- to draw to tell the good story
- to understanding of the different angles in the different area of each scene(s)
- to complete on time of the deadline.
More information about him:
- He works as storyboard artist, illustrator and strips cartoonist.
- His first strips cartoon is called the Flash Gordon which first published in 7th January 1934.
- He then continued to draw the strips in white and black called Captain Scarlet in 1971.
- In 1973 he got the opportunity to draw more strips in colour including working in TV Comic- Doctor Who (1975) and TV Time’s a Star Wars in 1982.
- He drew the strips for the Mirror about the biography of Elvis Presley.
- In 1984, he moved to create the movie storyboard for Greystroke: The Legend of Tazaran and the Lord of the Apes.
- He continue working on the stripes.
a) Alec Mills is the camera operator for production (in the set of the film).
b) He is known for:
- Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi (1983)
- The Living Daylights (1987)
- Licence To Kill (1989)
- The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
c) His skills as camera operator are:
- to aim to get film style become more visual and realist- use director and director of the photography
- communicates well and manages other crew members and actors.
- to get prepare all the equipment for the film.
More information about him: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0589893/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
- He was born in 1932 (May 10th) in London.
- Married to Zsuzsanna Mills on 22nd February 1977.
- Had one son name is Simon Mills.
3a) Karen Baker Landers is the sound editor.
3b) She is known for create:
- Blade Runner (1982)
- Braveheart (1995)
- Gladiator (2000)
- Skyfall (2012)
3c) Her skills for sound editing in the post production are to create soundtracks to match the film.
- A good knowledge of the music that includes editing and recording.
- Have a good hearing of the music that includes the pattern, rhyme and a good timing.
- Good communication with the crews.
She also won twelve awards for example:
- In 2013 she won the Oscar award at Academy Award USA for Best Achievement in Sound Editing for Skyfall (2012) and she shared this award with Per Hallberg.
She also won sixteen nominations for example
- In 2005 she won the Golden Reel Award for Best Sound Editing in Domestics Features – Sound Effects & Foley for The Bourne Supremacy (2004).
Wednesday 23rd September 2015: Research the directors
Alfred Hitchcock (director and producer):
- Born in 13th August 1899 in Leytonstone at Essex.
- He grew as strict Catholic so he went to St Ignatius College which run by a man called Jesuits. He attended there for three years (1910-1913) before leave for London to study on mechanical drawing (draughtsmanship) and advertising design.
Hitchcock then went to involve in the film industry in 1920 and he started to draw the sets as he was really skilled artist.
- He then complete the film for his director who was ill. The film was called Always Tell Your
- In 1925 Hitchcock directing the popular film- The Pleasure Garden which was the German and British production.
- He married to Alma Reville on 2nd December 1927, which was the same year of the film: The Lodge, and have a daughter, Patricia, who born in 1928 (7th July).
- He achieved the frame from the USA after created the lot of films for example The Lady Vanishes in 1938 and Jamaica Inn (1939).
- Hitchcock create his first silent nine films (without sound) between 1925 and 1929 (The Pleasure Garden 1925, The Farmer’s Wife-1928).
- His quote of silent movie: “The silent picture were the purest form of cinema”. It suggests the use of silent movie give more visual and clear understanding of the event in the film.
- That how Hitchcock become the film director in five years later.
Hitchcock’s awards: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000033/awards
- Hitchcock got thirty one wins of the awards for example Golden Globes in USA for ‘Best TV Sow’ in 1958.
- However he got twenty six nominations for example he got nominated in Oscar award in 1961 for best director for film called ‘Psycho’ (1960).
Peter Jackson- The Hobbit and Lord of the Ring
He was born in New Zealand on 31st October 1961 at town (North Island) and he raised as only child. When he was eight years old he enjoyed to take lot of the photos so his influence of media started as his parents’ friend brought him a movie camera.
As teenager he created his own film: World War Two by made his own special effect: the impression display of the gun. Later Jackson enter the local competition for film-making which was his first step to become the director. At the competition he created the animation (stop-motion) which was some monster ruin the building to represents the style of special effect: motion picture that influence by
Ray Harryhausen. Jackson, unfortunately, didn’t win.
When he was twenty two years old his life had changing while create the film as movie making adventure. In 1987 he was creating film called Bad Taste so his friends and some local people were involve in this film. In addition, Jackson did this film by himself (being director, produced, filmed by second hand camera which cost $250 etc). It take him four years to complete.
One of Jackson’s friends, whose worked in the movie industry, take him to the film festival called Cannes. Jackson’s Bad Taste film was hit because he use lot of special effects (amateur) include comedy. After that, Jackson become a director and carry working on horror- movie called Dead Alive in 1992.
2) How do the Lord of the Ring started?
Peter Jackson was eighteen years old when he first create his idea of adapt the book ‘Lord of the Rings’ to the film.
He was in the 12 hours train, on his way to Auckland where he involved in the photo apprentice course, he read ‘Lord of the Rings’ book wrote by John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. (1892-1973).
According to his interview (below the website) he didn’t expect to adapt this book to the film. However in 1995 the computer get develop as there were special effect such as ghost effect while creating film: The Frighteners.
This cause Jackson to able to create the film of the Lord of the Rings but the book is long so he divide into three parts of the movie. In addition it was difficult to translate the proper story.
He worked to find the right and nice actors for the film so he worked with them for 3 years.
3) Lord of the Ring and the Hobbit
There are trilogy series in both films directing by Peter Jackson.
The Lord of the Ring genres (hybrid genres) was adventure and fantasy. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120737/
The Lord of the Ring first series called is The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) followed by The Two Towers (2002) and The Return of the King (2003).
How do the Hobbit started?
The Hobbit filmed in New Zealand with different areas for example Hobbiton (where Hobbit people lived) is based at Matamata (rural town in New Zealand) in area called Waikato.
Like Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit was divide into three parts: An Unexpected Journey (2012), The Desolation of Smaug (2013) and The Battle of the Five Armies (2014).
This storyline was taken place before the Lord of the Ring started.
The Hobbit genre are children’s literature, fiction, fantasy and epic.
DAVID YATES- filmmaker of four final Harry Potter films
Born in November 30th 1963 at St Helen in England (Merseyside).
He was being influence by the director- Steven Spielberg who was created Jaws film in 1974 and The Thing From Another World in 1951.
He went to cinemas to watch Jaws and he was trying to understand how the film work within type angles, characters’ motive and include collect the information from audience’s reaction of the film by use survey.
At age fourteen he create the short film that involve his friends and family using his camera that his mother give him.
He then went to St Helen College for literature before to the University of Essex and in Washington for Georgetown University.
In 1980s Yates work in Create Studios for freelancer (self employed person) to create his first film: When I Was a Girl which is the serious and short film.
This film was successful and Yates moving to Beaconsfield for the National Film and Television School where he studied for directing programme.
Yates then being hire by BBC to directing other short dramatic film Oranges and Lemons in 1991 follow by The Weaver’s Wife and Good Looks include film programme, Moving Picture.
How do David Yates complete the Harry Potter series?
Warner Bros chose Yates to direct Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Before he started to film it, he watch carefully (observe) the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire whose directing by Mike Newell. He then invited Newell at the pub to discuss the idea of being replace to continue the film.
During the post production of the fifth Harry Potter film, Yates made an appearance in ‘a magical moving portrait’ for interview and the fifth film was successful with lot of nominations and wins.
Later at the filming of sixth Harry Potter, Yates make the decision over the seventh Harry Potter whose would be spilt into two parts.
Furthermore the sixth Harry Potter filming, Yates want this film become more ‘grown up’ than his other film previously. He also work out on the choice of type angles, pacing scene etc. with Bruno Delbonnel who is the cinematographer.
Yates describes of the sixth film like “very layered” and “incredibly rich”.
Later at the film of the two final film of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which started in early 2009 to 12th June 2010 with the final shooting.
Yates also describe that first part is like “road movie” style while second part is more of “operatic, colourful and fantasy orientated”.
DAVID YATES’ FILMS: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/David_Yates
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1(November 2010)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 (15th July, 2011)
DAVID YATES’ AWARDS- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0946734/awards
David Yates got fourteen wins for example in 2011 he won the BAFTA Children’s Award which shared with JK Rowling, David Heyman and David Barron for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: part 2 (2011).
He also got fifteen nominations for example in 2004 he won the Directors Guild of Great Britain Award for State of Play film (2003) .
OTHER HARRY POTTER DIRECTORS:
CHRIS COLUMBUS: Directing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001) and the Chamber of the Secret (2002)
ALFONSO CUARON: Directing Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
MIKE NEWELL: Directing Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)